The little town of Four Buttes, located in central Daniels County, received its
name from the four unusual buttes that tower above the prairie west of town.
These buttes were known as "Whiskey Buttes" in the early days because of being a
meeting place between Indians and those who would trade whiskey to them
These flat topped formations stand out in rolling prairie country and in more
recent years have been a favorite site for community picnics. The town sprang up
in 1926, a few months after the Great Northern railroad was extended west form
Scobey. In August of that year the newly constructed Farmers Elevator, with a
capacity of 35,000 bushels, began receiving grain. This elevator burned in
September, 1944, but another, built by a line company, was purchased by the
farmers in the early '40s and is still in use.
Until 1967 area children received their elementary education in a one room
country school building that was moved into town. A bus now takes the children
to school in Scobey.